Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Domestic Violence Awareness Month

As many of you know, October is Domestic Violence Awareness month. So I feel the need to share this poem I wrote about the abusive relationship I was in a few years ago. I wrote this about a year after I got out of it. I was trying to recapture how I felt shortly after the breakup. Apparently, I had really put it behind me because I had a hard time dredging up those feelings. I wrote it anyways because I wanted to make sure that I remember it and learned something from it so I don't find myself in that situation again. Well here it is.

Abused
________________________

Who could ever understand
The pain inflicted at his hand?
The pain for which she takes the blame
The pain for which she feels such shame
What is it that made her stay?
Why could she not get away?
How could she let him have her mind?
How could she deal all this time?
Her trust has been shattered
Her heart has been battered
All feelings have vanished
All emotions been banished
Each word he spoke
He used to choke
All the life and soul from her
How could she let this thing occur?
His words cut her deep
The road she was on grew steep
She wanted to protect her heart
She should have from the start
She saw how to protect her heart
To block out pain from the start
Step by step, brick by brick
The walls around her heart grew thick
She finally made a vow
She will never again allow
Any hurt to meet her soul
Hurt that has left a big hole
The walls around her heart grew strong
After having been done so wrong
By this man by whom she was ravaged
Is her life permanently damaged?

Creative Commons License
Abused by Porcelain Lotus is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

2 comments:

  1. Here's what I think: This is brave, beautiful and true. And here is what I KNOW: You are not permanently damaged. Clarity, healing, wisdom. These are all gorgeous gifts that come from loss and pain, and you are doing beautiful things with that. Keep going, keep striving, and remember that pain and hurt do not mean you are weak, ever. Go on, be a tender warrior, be a porcelain lotus. (P.S. I found you on BlogHer for liking my comment on Feminista's recent post. Thank you for reading it.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and for your very kind words. They really touched me. No one has ever called me a tender warrior before. I like it and it has me thinking.

      Delete

I would love to know what you think. Feel free to share your thoughts and your stories if anything I've said connects with you.