Thursday, March 25, 2010

Acrostic Poetry

I've decided to start my writing reprograming with acrostic poetry. This type of poetry is based off one word. You pick the word and write about that word using each letter of the word as the first letter of each line.

I chose this type of poetry because it has fewer rules than other poetry. I have a lot of work to do when it comes to understanding the structure of many other types of poetry. I don't understand the way rhyming schemes are described yet and I have no idea what iambic pentameter is. I'm sure there is a book that explains those kinds of things very well. I just have to find it. Any suggestions?

It's often said that boundaries can actually be very freeing when one is writing. I find this to be true here. These poems are deceptively simple and they require me to think outside of the box that has been instilled in me. I'll be working with these peoms for a while and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know what you think. Feel free to share your thoughts and your stories if anything I've said connects with you.