It's my birthday today. I'm 27 years old. I have had problems with my birthday the last few years because I always feel like I am not where I should be for someone my age. I watch everyone around me pursuing careers and moving forward in their lives and I always feel like there is something wrong with me because I'm stuck. I always felt defective. This year, I don't. I've realized that everyone begins finding themselves in their 20's and everyone does so in different ways. The fact that I'm not what society says I should be doesn't mean anything. I have had to go through my own process, my own way, and I'm where I need to be. I'm also taking steps towards my future. Frankly, that should be celebrated, no matter what age it happens. So, this year, I'm going to focus on what I have accomplished instead of what I haven't. The time will come for me. So, here's what I have accomplished this year and I'm quite proud of them.
1. Figured out I want to pursue Journal Therapy Facilitation
2. Came up with a plan to pursue Journal Therapy Facilitation
3. Figured out I want to move to Atlanta
4. Sold my useless car which gives me a good start towards getting one that works
5. Discovered Coursera, which will help me continue my education
6. Learned significantly more about myself, my personality and how I operate
7. Learned more about poetry and practiced more
In the grand scheme of these, many of these are a big deal. I'm in such a good place compared to where I was for the past few years. I still have a long way to go, but for the first time in a long time, I feel like I'm on my way.