Saturday, March 2, 2013

NaBloPoMo March 02

Today is the first free writing day of NaBloPoMo. Weekends have no prompt so I have to come up with something to write on my own. I guess I'll try to stick with the theme of risks for my free writing since it has been on my mind.

I've been thinking about the risks I've taken and the risks I'll probably take in the future. It occurs to me that the biggest risk I will be taking is moving to a new city by myself. I've been living in my current city for most of my life and it has done nothing for me. I don't get along with most people around here and the people that I do get along with don't see me as a close friend. I come from a multicultural family and I think it has made me see things differently than a bunch of people born and raised in the suburbs who seem to forget that the world is bigger than their group of friends. I don't belong in the suburbs so I need to take the risk and move somewhere that will offer me more options. It will be awhile before I have the money to do something like that but the time will come.

The other big risk that I will need to take is letting a man into my life. Considering my knack for getting into abusive or disrespectful relationships, allowing myself to date again will be a huge risk. Hopefully by that point I will have enough confidence in myself to not put up with blatant disrespect. I also hope that I will trust myself enough to listen when I see red flags. I've waited this long though so I am obviously fine with being single, so I'm not about to allow my first relationship in years to be a bad one. I just have to trust myself.

I can't think of anything more to say on the matter. These won't be the only risks I take. I'm sure there will be several smaller risks I take along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know what you think. Feel free to share your thoughts and your stories if anything I've said connects with you.